It’s been a little over three weeks since IBM closed its acquisition of Red Hat, and already we’ve seen positive sentiment externally from clients and open source leaders. IBMers are starting to partner and learn from Red Hatters, and the industry is responding to our shared and evolving commitment to open source. Red Hat will continue to operate independently, while IBM will embark on this journey as Red Hat’s most ardent partner, supporter, and implementer.
We’re doing this through five new Cloud Paks built on Red Hat OpenShift that give you the freedom to choose what’s best for your environment. I’d like to dig deeper on what this means to you, the developer.
A recent study by McKinsey & Company reveals that only 20 percent of enterprise applications have moved to the cloud. We believe that a hybrid cloud approach, built on open source and a vibrant open ecosystem, is the best way to move the remaining 80 percent.
Red Hat OpenShift represents a common platform, based on the industry-standard Kubernetes, that allows you to build on premises, on the IBM Cloud, or on any other leading cloud platform. You want freedom of choice; Red Hat OpenShift offers exactly that.
The developer environment
IBM recently announced at OSCON 2019 three new open source projects — Kabanero, Appsody, and Codewind (plus Razee, which was announced in May). These projects are set to give you a more integrated solution where you can architect, build, deploy, test, and manage your Kubernetes-based applications. IBM took this approach to help developers and organizations spend more time building applications rather than spend time on integrating different versions of these open source projects.
The services: IBM Cloud Paks
Having a platform and a dev environment isn’t enough. You need the services to accelerate your applications’ move to a hybrid cloud. Today IBM announced an optimized portfolio to run on Red Hat OpenShift and new cloud-native capabilities delivered as pre-integrated solutions called IBM Cloud Paks. The first 5 Cloud Paks, which are built on the Red Hat OpenShift platform and leverage all its functionality, comprise the subsystems and services needed to run, manage, and protect enterprise applications. Each Cloud Pak is built on an integrated set of open source technologies. They include:
- Cloud Pak for Applications
- Cloud Pak for Data
- Cloud Pak for Integration
- Cloud Pak for Automation
- Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management
With Cloud Paks, you can move existing applications with minimal changes to a more effective Kubernetes-based operational model. Cloud Paks let you use the most relevant open source technology with the tools and environments you already use, including VS Code and Eclipse. And with the Eclipse Codewind project, you have a simple IDE that lets you code on your laptop or remote on the cloud. Stay tuned to IBM Developer for future posts that dive deeper into the Cloud Paks and some of the ways that Red Hat OpenShift gives developers the power of choice. We know getting started in containers and Kubernetes can be daunting. If you want to chat with a developer advocate, find one here: developer.ibm.com/community.
A paradigm shift
I’m personally excited to see organizations more deeply embrace open source and cloud-native development. I’ve seen dynamic industry shifts throughout my career, but this paradigm — where developers wield the power and make decisions that profoundly impact the business — is something that was just a dream in the past. We’re laying building blocks, which are built on open source innovations, that will empower generations of developers for years to come. Our commitment to those developers is that Red Hat will maintain its neutrality and status as an open source leader alongside IBM (just as we have throughout our shared history).
Ultimately, both companies thrive by meeting our clients’ ever-evolving needs. As we continue down this path, we want to hear from you. We only get better when we have frank, honest dialogue with the developers who are building on our platform. Services and offerings related to Red Hat may not yet be available in Brazil.